Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Wonder twins power, activate (well sorta)

I just saw the film Vampire Effect, also known as Twin Effect starring no other than the Hong Kong teen Pop sensation Twins (Charlene Choi and Gillian Chung, who are by no means actually related, let alone twins,or are they teens anymore, both being over 20, if only barely). And Jackie Chan makes a fun guest appearance.

it's not that great of a movie. In fact, I'd go so far as to qualify it a bad movie. It's totally cheesy, over the top, with bad vampires, and out dated computer effects. On the plus side it has some fun kung fu fight scenes, and never really takes itself seriously by throwing in some old school zany comedy moments. Combined, the camp factor alone makes this worth watching. It's crap and if you start watching it knowing it's crap you can have a lot of fun.

The reason I bring this up is twofold. Firstly, I think it's interesting that teen pop stars in this country make bad romantic comedies while teen pop stars over there make bad kung fu flicks. If I have a choose between them, kung fu wins, hands down. If only somehow we could convince Hillary Duff to do an action flick, then we'd be somewhere. I don't' know where we'd be exactly but it'd have to be better than the crap she's shitting out now.

Secondly, I have to admit it, I think I've developed a crush on the Twins (more so Charlene than Gillian). There's something about that Asian pop fashion aesthetic that drives me wild. I wish I can explain it. I searched the web for images I can show but couldn't find any links. Anyway, I know they don't do their own stunts like Jackie Chan, but they fake it much better than any of Charlie's Angels. The clothes they wear when they fight make sense, no high heels or bikini's or skin tight leather. And they seem very cool with being wacky on screen and comedy in my book is always sexy. I know some people say that a sense of humor is important for them, but I truly mean it, I find comedy sexy. What could be better than a cute girl who can kick ass and tell a joke? Very little.

Uh...Carry on then....

No comments: