Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Israel

I think that the attack on Gaza right now is horrible. I think the entire situation in the region is fucked beyond belief. Because though I think this is a disproportionate response to Hamas, and the Palestinian people in Gaza, I can't think of a proportionate response, or what that even means in context. As of the end of November 1212 rockets and 1290 mortar bombs were fired into Southern Israel. In an article I read on Sunday in the new york times (which I don't have access to online to reference) 300 rockets were fired into Israel last week alone right after the cease fire ended.

What Israel is doing I think is wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a right thing to do. What is the proportional response to almost 3000 rockets/mortar bombs, fired into one's country over the course of a year? Because what they were doing before didn't seem to be working to get it to stop.

And how does one negotiate with an organization that calls for one's destruction?

None of this is an excuse for Israel, just honest issues that as a Jew, a supporter of Israel, and of Peace, that I struggle with every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your friend and the friend's mother. Between this post and those, one can't even begin to say Happy New Year.