Sunday, November 27, 2005

Friends and other nonsense

Everyone needs a back up plan. I don't plan on being rich and famous (though it wouldn't hurt) but I do plan on mooching off all of my friends. Not really all of my friends, because many, like me, can't afford to have anyone mooch off of them. For instance, I'll never really be able to hop on my dear friend Jason's bandwagon because he's a do gooder. By which of course I mean a person who will probably work for non-profit and other governmental positions trying to make the world a better place (that jerk) and that really doesn't pay much.

My friend Michael on the other hand... He of Cambridge currently editing his first feature length film (which he financed himself and unless it sells, coupled with his student loans will cause him to be in debt forever) hopefully will one day be a famous film maker whom I shall be able to mooch off of. I'd link you to something of Mike's but alas his only online connection is an e-mail address, and I shan't be giving that out.

Two other friends of note whose bandwagon I shall hop on immediately if given the chance.

The first is my freind Gretchen Akers. Gretchen is a bit of a stretch as we aren't very close. The summer after her graduation from college she broke up with her boyfriend (with whom she was living) and moved -albeit temporarily- into the living room of my spacious four bedroom apartment. She was friends with two of my three roommates, and after spending a glorious Saturday with Gretchen (the first Saturday of our acquaintance - a long story involving all my roommates leaving town for the weekend, an awkward attempt to bond through the streets of Somerville, and more little debbie zebra cakes than you can shake a stick at) we became friends. She then moved off to California to make her mark in the movies (she starred in both Michael's thesis film and the feature length he's currently editing). For those interested in her progression you can check out her IMDB page. Yeah she's a cutie and talented and I expect her to go far. Thus when she does, I'll be there hanging on her coat tails.

Finally, there is my old roommate Jeremy. He is finishing up his graduate degree at BU. I believe his focus is theater and playwriting. He is quite possibly the greatest writer I have yet to meet in person, and would not be surprised if those of you into theater hear his name within the next few years. For those of you interested in getting in on the ground floor you can check out his blog. When you check it out (and you all should everyday, regardless whether he's posted or not) you will realize not only his literary prowess but his fabulous sense of humor. And once again, when his name goes up in lights I'll be there, hanging on, mooching off his success.

Then again, if I get rich and famous first I'll be the first one to send the elevator back down - yet only after I've cut the tether preventing them from following me back up. I mean really, why should I have to deal with people mooching off my success?

5 comments:

Liz said...

Damn, thanks for shutting me down. I was gonna hitch my wagon to YOUR star. Probably still will.

Hazed said...

You may not have to let others mooch off you, but I've a feeling you will. You love your pals and your family too much. Also, those of us who write with dreams but no purpose may call on you for contacts.

John said...

I may never be a movie star or hollywood producer or broadway writer, but I will be rich and famous in my field....someday. Especially after listening to Natasha.

feel free to hitch up...

Amichai said...

I suppose that would also make you my first future stalker. Remember, I'm a homebody, a good night for me is staying in with pals and a rented flick. so keep the telephoto lens handy.

Anonymous said...

Dude, you forgot about my sister. I've still got sway with her and have put in a good word.