Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Not exactly an update

Still am waiting to hear from both WGBH and Starbucks and that's a pain, just because I'm eager to work. I didn't expect to hear from them yet (in fact I know I won't hear from WBGH until next week) it's just that the waiting sucks.

Putting all that aside, my brother Roni has a friend who is interning at the Tribeca film center. Apparently last night Roni went out to dinner with his girlfreind (Rebecca) and the intern freind (I'll call her E). Rebecca - a sweetie - mentioned my name to E saying I was looking for work in the media arts (film, tv, radio). E mentioned that she might (and might is the operative word) be able to hook me up with an intership at tribeca. I'd prefer a real job with a salary and health benifits, but an internship at a reputable film institute (something I should probably have done in college) is at least a step in the right direction. I spoke to E today on the phone, and she seems like a very nice person. Much nicer than I would probably be in her situation (I'm not a very nice guy). She told me about what she does, and then said if I was intersted I can send her my resume and she'll hand it personally to her boss (the person in charge of the interns) and put in a good word for me.

I'm not expecting big things, as I have had freinds at other companies who tried to help but their influence wasn't as great as they thought it would be, but it was very gracious for her to make this offer (an offer I am going to take her up on). So we'll see what happens, the worst is they'll say no and I'll continue doing what I'm doing, and the best is they'll say yes and I'll have a leg up. Either way E is a very sweet girl who interviewed for a real job at Tribeca, and regardless as to whether I get an intership or not, I hope she gets the job.

Also, if I do get the position, it'll only confirm the fact which I already know to be true, I just don't like it: It's not what you know, but who you know that counts.

6 comments:

piu piu said...

mate, wot u waiting for!

http://www.tribecafilmfestival.org/jobs-festival-2006.html

look around ! there are LOADS more opportunities in NY than in London. i did an unpaid internship at this place

http://www.lux.org.uk/

an it didnt do squat apart from make me some nice friends with cool people. i nearly killed myself struggling to work for free too...

u sound tired. i hope u get a job at starbucks to recharge ur batteries and then u can plough on and storm the tribeca film fest!!!

rawbean said...

If I'm not mistaken, working at Starbucks can pay pretty well - and they have benefits!

John said...

Word Verifier: The Gathering

On now.

Only in the Hideout.

Free turkey for all participants.

Free sweet potato pie for all vegans.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

>>I'm eager to work.

Haven't a lot of film heroes said this just before their fortune changed for the better?

rawbean said...

where you at amichai? How's the laundry situation?

Hazed said...

not a nice guy my eye! Good luck with everything. If the internship comes through, you could also work at Starbucks or get that dream job, too. I'm thinking of you and sending good vibes your way.